Sunday, July 29, 2007

Monsoon Season in NC???

Well, it all started out nice. Headed out to NC finally about 11am, got to the site and everything set up by 3:30pm. Popped the chairs out to sit back and relax next to the river & Eddie crashed for a nap. Little sprinkles with the sun shinning actually cooled it down some. It was so relaxing to be up in the mountains with friends, chatting with people as they passed the campsite and watching the fire. Of course, night falls and you HAVE to pull out the fixins for S'mores. We tried something different I had heard on the Food Network...use chocolate frosting instead of the choc. bars. It was easier & a whole lot cheaper!! We decided after awhile to turn in so we could get a early start. Our early start began in the middle of the night with raindrops on our tent top. It continued throughout the night, along with a drip from our roof. Because of this Eddie was happy that I actually moved over enough that it would be considered cuddling (I HATE to be touched while I'm sleeping, but not as much as water dripping on my head). Around 7:30 we rolled out of the tent to a major downpour and it didn't seem to be letting up. As I reached for the coffeepot I noticed the light on the maker was off. Just thinking they turned it off I poured myself a lukewarm mug of Java. Then we come to find out that all power is off throughout the campsite and a generator is keeping the showerhouses in full working capacity. We kept going back and forth, "Do you want to pack up & go or stick it out". I believe no one wanted to be the one who said, "Let's pack it in." I personally would have been happy had we stayed or left. I grew up camping & spent many weekends camping in the rain. We found out it was suppose to continue to rain all day. So, the coin was flipped & we packed up. The day wasn't a total loss, we spent a few hours in the "Wheels Through Time" museum. Being with 2 Harley riders it was a neat museum to hang out in to get out of the rain. We'll try the camping thing again in 2 weeks with the kids...we'll start praying for a sun-filled weekend!!

1 comment:

Mary Jo said...

Sounds like you had fun, even if it did rain! Today we had a "girls' day" at my friend Brenda's house, playing games and swimming. A few of us just got in the pool when it started to downpour. Since there was no lightning or thunder, we stayed in and had a blast and then laughed because we were worried about our towels getting wet!

S'mores with no Hershey bars?! How can that be! I would rather substitue marshmallow creme and have the real chocolate! ;o)